I took my front drums to O’Reilly Auto Parts to get them turned last Sunday. They finally told me on Tuesday that they were “low spec”, but had new ones for $45 ea – so I picked them up on the way home from work. I ordered 4 new wheel cylinders from QTM Parts (figured since both of the fronts were bad, the back ones would be too. Plus they were much cheaper buying the set) and new shoes for the front from Advance Auto online ($20 after online savings AND I got eBates cash). SOooo – I had the parts I needed to work with when I got off for my week off.
I started yesterday by cleaning the backing plate. The red paint was in pretty good condition, so I didn’t repaint it. I installed the new wheel cylinder, cleaned all of the springs and hardware and installed the new pads. I’m glad I took pics of how everything came apart.
Next I grabbed a new drum and compared it to the old one. These are Brake Best Select Premium from O’reilly. They are from China of course. The overall measurements are basically the same, but the drum profile is different and there is more surface for a larger shoe – 2″ maybe?
I cleaned the whole drum with brake cleaner to get the light coat of oil off of everything. I had to back the adjustment cams all the way off to get the drum on, but it fit well. The countersink for the mounting screws was wrong and they didn’t fit flush. I sprayed on a coat of 24052 to make it pretty.
TIP: Don’t do like I did and hammer the cap on – bending it up of coarse. I learned that the hub socket fits perfectly over the hub cap and allows you to seat it without bending the cap!
On to the driver side
I disassembled the driver side brakes last week, so all I had to do was pull the hub and reassemble – or so I thought.
First, the hub was HELL to get off! I had to PRY it off with the handle of the hammer (wood) and tap on it with the hammer. Once I got it off I found out why. The seal was basically destroyed, letting water in to rust up the bearings. It’s funny (not really), but the driver side bearings FELT better than the passenger side – and the brakes actually worked (and I was able to bleed the wheel cylinder) on that side. When it was pulled apart, all the parts were WORSE than the passenger side!
Once completely disassembled and the backing plate and hardware cleaned, I had to paint the backing plate and rear of the hub.
The bearings were too pitted to re-use, so I proceeded to look for a set – on Saturday, in Chester SC, for a 53yo Jeep. Yeah, like that was going to happen! Well, I typed in 1965 Jeep CJ5 like I always do when looking for parts. I actually found a PAIR of bearings in Rock Hill – about 20 miles away. I ordered them online (Advance Auto). National Bearing A-35 was the part #. I couldn’t find the seal on the website. I went to pick the bearings up anyway – surely they had a seal!
I showed up to get the parts – they looked to be the right size. She searched for a seal – no go. Had to order it – would be there in 2 days! On a whim, I went to Autozone – same thing, had to order, but could have it the NEXT DAY. But I had already ordered a $10 seal from Advance. I went to O’Reilly next door – same thing, next day. OF COURSE I would order it from the place that would take 2 days!
I went home and installed the bearing races – at least I could get that much done. I drove the old ones out and mic’ed them. The new ones were very slightly larger than the old – and the bearing cones were a little taller. I pressed the races in and everything looked good.
When I layed the seal in the hub, IT WAS LOOSE. I am guessing that the larger diameter bearing race expanded the hub. I am hoping that I didn’t ruin the hub! I like the idea of the larger bearing surface on the outside, so I will install one on the other hub as well so that I don’t waste money on these bearings. I will drive the inner race out to see if the hub was ruined today.
With that EPIC FAIL out of the way, I soldiered on and decided to at least get the brakes installed on the driver side. That was easy enough, except for that return spring – that thing is STIFF!
When I got inside after dark, I decided to research why I got the wrong bearings. I found this:
FRONT Axle, outer bearing:
Figure 10-4, Key DD & EE
Quantity: 2 each per side
Bearing: 705423, Current #: Timken 18590
Race: 706836, Current #: Timken 18520
From g503 forums
I saw the Timken # on the bearing – I just figured that A-35 crossed to this one – WRONG! The National # is the same.
I also found this on the same post:
Seal, Oil, Front Hub:
Figure 10-4, Key CC
Quantity: 2 each
H013-83-29731, Current #: National 6626-S
Guess what? I ordered the WRONG seal too!
Come to find out, starting in 1964 or 65, the hub must have changed. The earlier hubs are shorter and smaller inner diameter than the 1965 that I was looking up for all of my other parts. I changed my search to 1963 Jeep CJ5 and BOOM – there is the 18590 bearing #! Live and learn.
Like I said, I am hoping that I can still use the larger bearings on the outer end of the hub – they have about 1/8″ larger bearing surface and there is no seal for it to interfere with, so theoretically it should work there – and I won’t lose $30 in the process! I am going to have to order a replacement bearing for the inner hub.
Today I will be removing/rebuilding/installing the driver side leaf spring.