Today I worked on the rear brakes. The driver side drum came off easily. It was full of sand and mud.
I removed the brake shoes and wheel cylinder and cleaned the backing plate and axle seal retainer up by scraping with a screwdriver and putty knife and cleaning with a wire brush. Then I sprayed brake cleaner on it and cleaned it real well. I cleaned the hardware with the wire brush and brake cleaner. I didn’t order new shoes beforehand, so I cleaned the old ones up until I get the new ones (that I ordered tonight) – they have about 1/8″ of lining left. I installed a new wheel cylinder and all of the cleaned parts.
While I had easy access, I removed the plug in the axle and installed a grease zerk – gave the bearing 6 pumps of grease and reinstalled the plug. I went ahead and removed the shock while it was within reach – one less thing to have to do when I install the new shock tomorrow!
I moved on to the passenger side. This time I couldn’t get the drum to budge – AT ALL! The drum screws came out with a little heat and the big screwdriver with a wrench on the shaft, but the drum wouldn’t budge! I tried the rubber hammer, ball peen hammer, applied PB Blaster and heat – still NOTHING! I guess the only way to get it off is to pull the hub tomorrow so that I can get to it from the back.
I moved on to the rear differential. I pulled the cover and drained the oil – black and runny! I sprayed the rest of the can of brake cleaner on the carrier and gears to clean it up a little, then pulled the drain plug to drain the cleaner. There was about a 1/4″ of sludge on top of 1/4″ of hard sludge in the bottom of the case, so I scraped all that crap out and wiped it clean with a rag. I sandblasted the cover and gave it a couple of coats of 24052 and left it to dry overnight.
The last thing I had time for was to pull the top hose and thermostat housing so that I can install a new thermostat tomorrow. Judging by the look of the coolant (all water, I’m guessing), I need to drain the radiator and block too – and maybe flush it too! It was a nice orange color! Wile I had the thermostat out, I heated it up with a propane torch – just guessing, but it was prob around 250deg before it started opening!
I went online before I went out to the shop this afternoon to order a thermostat (Stant 160deg for $8.99). I had a coupon for 25% off at Advance Auto waiting on me, so I went ahead and ordered the rear shocks (since they had Monroe in stock for $25 ea) too. They were asking $62 for brake shoes, so I didn’t order them there. I saved about $15 ordering online and got another $.87 back through eBates! I went by and picked the parts up after church tonight. While I was there, I bought 2 cans of brake cleaner and 2 bottles of limited slip friction modifier (one for each axle). The bottles are 4oz that treats 2qt of oil – the differentials hold about 1 3/4qt, so I figure a bottle each. This is the brand they had, so I bought it.
Kindof pricey at $7.99/bottle, but at least it doesn’t have to be changed often! If I would have thought ahead a little, I would’ve ordered the brake cleaner and this online and saved another $8! While I was at Advance, I rented a hub puller for the passenger side – VERY PRICEY at $100
I left Advance and went to O’Reilly to see if they had brake shoes – they did. They were $30 after tax, but I had to order them – and they wouldn’t be in until late tomorrow afternoon (16:00) – AFTER I finish working on the Jeep for the day! I guess I’ll just get the drum pulled and everything cleaned up and ready to install the new shoes after I get them – I will have to tear the driver side back down too. But at least I will have all new brakes all around after I finish them! BTW – the rear drums looked OK (not GREAT, but OK).
After I finish with removing and cleaning the passenger side brake, I will reinstall the diff cover and refill it (I have a 5gal can of military gear oil, so I didn’t need to buy any of that). I might as well go ahead and remove the front cover, clean it, blast the cover, paint it and reinstall/refill it while I’m doing them and I have the materials. Then I can flush the radiator and block, install the new thermostat and check to see if it is working correctly.