Today was a very productive day! I stopped by Tractor Supply on the way home from work this morning – bought a tube patch kit and 2 – 3/8″ x 48″ round rods. When I got home, the first thing I did was to patch the 2 tubes that weren’t too torn up. Once they were patched, I set them aside to cure while I did other stuff.
The second thing I did was to paint the markings. I started with the little long term storage stencil on the rear.
Then I moved on to the larger long term storage stencil on the cowl.
And finally the most obvious ones after I had a little experience under my belt.
I sprayed 3 coats on all of the stencils. It didn’t cover completely – was still slightly opaque. Once the third coat was on, I let it tack up for about 10 minutes, then started peeling off the masking paper and paint mask. The hood numbers were very hard to get to stick down completely – I had quite a few places that puckered up because of the compound curves on the hood. These places bled by a little. At least the paint didn’t peel off like my other a1.
Between coats, I scuffed the wheels with Scotchbrite . After I finished the markings, I sprayed the wheels with 24052.
That was a good stopping point to go install my tubes and tires on the spare rims. On the way to my friend’s house, I stopped by and picked up my flywheel that I had resurfaced.
This time, it only took me about 10 minutes to install both tubes and tires!
Once back at home, I got to work on the top bow support rods. The drawing I had showed a total length of 39.75″ with one elbow end 1.375″ and the other 1.875″. After I cut and welded the ends on, I test fit one of them. With the support rod level, I marked the point where I need to drill the hole in the forward bow. Then I measured from the rivet up to the mark – It was 25″. Next, I measured the same points on my other Jeep – it measured 25.5″. I measured the length of the support rod on my other Jeep – it was 37.5″! I guess I’m going to have to wait until my top comes in to make sure the front bow will be in the correct position before I drill any holes in the bow.
The last thing I did was to work on getting it running again. I static timed it and got it to run – rough! So I played around with the distributor until I heard a hissing noise. I grabbed my propane bottle and pointed it at the carb – the idle leveled out a little. Then I felt around the carb base and found a leak! So off came the carb, replaced the gasket and reinstalled the carb. It fired up and idled perfectly! I took her for a ride up the driveway, turned around to head back and it started acting up again! I pulled into the yard and snapped a couple of pics before putting her back in the shop.
I will work on it again when I get back on night shift next week, but for now I’m done. I guess the next thing to do is to get her running smoothly and reliably. Then I can move on to changing the clutch. Other than that, I think everything the HAS to be done is done!