More blasting and priming this weekend

I started training on my new job last Monday, so I am working Mon-Fri 7AM-3:30PM. By the time I get home, there’s no time to get the equipment out to work on the Jeep.

So, yesterday I got very little accomplished (in my opinion). I burned through 80# of sandblasting media and you could barely see that I had done anything! I blasted the slave receptacle port and worked on the interior. The interior still doesn’t look much different!

I bought a 90# gravity feed sandblast setup from the guy that did my front wheels. It was a pretty good deal for $25. He made me a deal on a blast cabinet that I couldn’t turn down too – even though I already have a blast cabinet. This one is an older model Dee Blast cabinet that is all metal, has a glass view port, has a built in vacuum and is on a roller cart. It needs new gloves and a piece of expanded metal for the bed. I have an extra pair of gloves that I bought for my other cabinet, but I will have to locate a piece of expanded metal.

This morning I went to Tractor Supply and bought 3 bags of Black Diamond media. It was $7.99/bag. It cuts pretty good and feeds well through the gravity blaster. I also bought a set of tips for the blasting gun since the one that was in it was worn out – $7.99 for a set of 3.

So today I got the cowl blasted. I found a little rust in the gap between the cowl and windshield frame, so I made sure to blast that really good. When I sprayed the primer I got an extra heavy coat down in that gap. I also found a couple of dents – one above the glove box and the other was a small one beside the battery box. I will blast the battery box cover in the cabinet.



The hood is holding out. I worked on it for about 45 minutes yesterday – all I accomplished was finishing the passenger side and about 12″ of the center. I still don’t know what kind of paint his is, but it eats 60 grit paper real quick! The blaster takes a while to eat through it too.

After I blasted and primed the cowl, I moved to the rear panel. I started out with the grinder (and wire cup). I took the blue and white paint off with that. Then I switched over to the blaster to get the places that the grinder and DA wouldn’t reach. Lastly, I switched to the DA to smooth everything out. I wiped it down and sprayed a couple of coats of primer.



I still have the bodywork to do and weld up a couple of holes from the civilian tail lights, but it’s looking good!

I have a ton of small parts to blast, so I need to get the cabinet finished this week. I have the tail lights, front and rear shackles, pins and brackets, top bow brackets, wiper motors, reflector bezels, filler neck bezel, hood latches and right bumperette.

After I put all of the tools and Jeep away in the tent, I moved into the shop and finished up the fuel sender to gauge wire that I started the other night. I found a wire in my new wiring harness that was used for the Fuel ignitor (?) on the M35. It was supposed to be about 10′ long. I cut the wiring harness open and extracted this one wire after verifying that it was a single wire (with the multimeter). After I got it out I measured it – exactly 8′ long. That’s what I needed, 8′! I ordered a 10′ long piece of 3/16″asphalt covered cotton wire loom (only needed 6′) and received it last weekend for this purpose. I caught hell getting that wire through the loom! I ended up cutting one end off of it, feeding a piece of wire through the loom and soldering the other wire to it to be able to pull the new wire through. That was the other night. Tonight I crimped a new end on it to finish it up. Vintage Wiring of Maine quoted me a price of $48 + shipping for that one wire – I have a total of $10.63 invested in it ($9.38 in the loom counting shipping and $1.25 in the Packard connector). AND about 3hrs of work – splitting the loom and fishing the wire out, getting the wire through the loom and installing the Packard connector. But at least I saved around $40!


The plan for this week while I’m working? Who knows. I hope to be able to get the tank out and take it to a shop to boil it out and remove the grill to get ready to blast it. Maybe I can get some more blasting, sanding and priming done.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in: Logo

You are commenting using your account. Log Out /  Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )


Connecting to %s