Almost done with the fuel system

Today I installed the gas tank, fuel sender, pickup, seat, made seat bottoms, freed up the pedals, bled the brakes a little, set up a redneck fuel tank, took a few test drives, washed the engine bay and installed the new fuel line – a jam packed 5 hrs of work!

First things first: Gas tank install. I put the foam strips down in the gas tank (they should be rubber strips) and set the tank in place – simple enough. Then I realized I had a little bit of water in the tank, so I had to take it back out to tilt it enough to vacuum it out. Then I put it back in. The old lines will have to be replaced – the canvas loom is rotten on both of them, not to mention the lines look like crap!

Next up : Install the pickup and sending unit. I didn’t have the correct gaskets, so I used black RTV sealant and let it sit for a few minutes before installing. One thing that I forgot to do is chase the threads in the tank, so some of the screws wouldn’t go all the way in (plus they were worn out Philips screws). When I put the sending unit in, I clocked it in the wrong direction, so when I pull the seat back out to re clock it, I will chase the threads and put new, correct screws back in. After I put the sending unit back in, I put the tank strap on and tightened her in. Then I put the seat in.

20170117_114422

Third: Free up the pedals. They were all bound up with old grease – I couldn’t even push any new grease through the zerks. I replaced them and I still couldn’t get any in. So I pulled them back out, sprayed PB Blaster in the holes and worked the pedals until they were moving fairly easy. Then I put the zerks back in and was able to get some grease in them. While I was underneath, I realized that the brake pedal return spring was hooked around the shaft and not the pedal arm, so I fixed that problem too.

Forth: I realized I needed something to sit on if I was going to drive this thing today! So I found a couple of small pieces of plywood and cut them to 18″x15″, marked the holes from the seat frames, drilled them and bolted the bottoms down. It will do for now! I just need to paint them OD.

20170117_141544

Fifth: Bleed the brakes. Not that simple by yourself! I tried to hook up my power bleeder for the deuce, but it just wouldn’t fit in the tight space. So I rigged up something with the power bleeder that gave it a little pressure, but leaked everywhere. I got a little fluid from the back brakes and left front, but not the right front. I had a little bit of pedal though.

Sixth: Redneck gas tank. I took a 1 gallon gas can, inserted a 5/16″ fuel hose in the spout (which was a perfect tight fit), and slid the hose over the 5/16″ nipple I installed a couple of days ago for the funnel. This provides a decent gravity feed to the carb and lasts a LOT longer than the funnel!

20170117_132628

Seventh: Wash the engine bay. I drove over to the other side of the house (because I don’t have a water line at my shop) where I sprayed the engine compartment down with a heavy concentration of Purple Power, let it sit for about 5 minutes and then washed it off. Surprisingly, It barely even touched the built up gunk on the engine, axles and skid plate area! I guess I’ll have to come up with something else to clean it up.

Eighth: Test drives. After washing the engine compartment, I drove up the driveway and tested 2wd, 4wd high and 4wd low – everything seems to work fine. It was still idling high, so I pulled up to the shop and adjusted the carb a little. It has a pretty rough idle, so I’m going to have to check the plugs, cap and points to figure that out.

Youtube link of it idling (sortof)

When I started to pull away from the shop it started to spin (it is a slight uphill grade), so I shifted into 4wd high and it pulled right off. Later, I saw that the posi in the rear IS working because I have 2 wheel marks in the mud! Those slick tires sure can spin.

20170117_142051

Finally, I pulled up to the level area where I work on my cars so that I could get to work on that fuel line. I bought a 5/16″x72″ piece of steel fuel line at Advance Auto the other day. I pulled the old one out – it was connected to the brake line with quite a few clips. I used the old one to bend the new one to the basic shape – come to find out it was the perfect length and was bent right the 1st time! That’s a first for me! I got both ends hooked up and everything clipped back together in no time.

Well, the time was up for the day – I had to go pick my daughter up at school and take her to Tae Kwon Do practice. I backed her into her new (temporary) home for the night. I have one more day off and it looks like good weather, so we’ll see if I can either get the original fuel pump going or the civilian pump installed and pumping tomorrow!

20170117_150513

 

Advertisements

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s