Today I got the lower fender mounting tabs welded on. The tabs on the tub weren’t quite long enough, so the 5/16″ bolts wouldn’t fit through the fender and tabs. I had to use my die grinder to make the holes in the tabs a little bigger for them to fit. Once that was done, I installed a couple of bolts in the fender to hold it tight to the tub, then installed a bolt through the tabs to hold them in place, tight to the tub, while I tacked them to the frame.
Once both of them were tacked on, I removed the fender and primed the bare metal.
Next I moved on to the brakes. Removing the drum was actually easy! A little heat and penetrant and the 3 screws came right out! I cleaned the brake components up and greased them so they they moved easily. I will have to tear all of this stuff down for cleaning and painting before I’m completely done – I just got everything freed up today. Next, I cleaned the drum with the side grinder and wire wheel. Once that was done, I reassembled.
Then I painted everything OD. I scuffed and painted all of the hooks, tabs, handles and underneath the rails while painting.
The other side was the same scenario – easy enough! I went ahead and painted around the hooks and under the rails on both ends while I was at it.
Now I have to blast, prime and paint 1st coat on the fenders, install the wiring, install the lights, instal parking brake components, install shocks, paint inside tub, paint outside tub, paint fenders, paint wheels, install the drain plugs and install the shocks.